Quick Start Guide
This is the Quick Start Guide included with every BearExtender Edge.
The cover of this booklet contains your unique BearExtender Edge network name and password.
I am unable to access the BearExtender Edge window (Initial setup)
- Verify your computer's internal Wi-Fi card is connected to BearExtender Edge.
- Your BearExtender Edge's network name and password is printed on the cover of the Quick Start Guide.
- If your computer has an ethernet cable, unplug it.
- Quit and reopen your browser, then type in http://setup.bearextender.com
- If you are still unable to load the page, try typing in http://192.168.100.2
- Unplug and plug BearExtender into a different electrical outlet closer to you
My network does not appear in the BearExtender window
- To scan again, click the small rescan button under the list of networks. See image at right
- Try plugging BearExtender Edge into a different outlet (including another outlet in a nearby room). Pick an outlet that is not obstructed.
- Do not plug BearExtender Edge in the same room as the router.
- Use a UL approved electrical extension cord and place BearExtender Edge as high up as possible off the ground.
“Connection timeout” error, I cannot join my network
- Double check your router's Wi-Fi password for any upper case or lower case letters.
- The password must match exactly
- Refresh the BearExtender setup page a few times.
- Unplug and plug BearExtender Edge back in.
- Wait 60 seconds after plugging in BearExtender Edge before connecting again
Slow throughput or speed
- Try enabling Power Boost
- From the BearExtender page, go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Power Boost
- Move BearExtender Edge to another electrical outlet
- Try a different antenna position.
- If the antenna was pointing straight up (recommended for most situations), try pointing the antenna horizontally.
- Use a UL approved electrical extension cord and place BearExtender Edge as high off the ground as possible.
- Consider using a larger Wi-Fi antenna. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for recommendations.
Unable to print, scan or use AirPlay over the network
- Try enabling Compatibility Mode on the Advanced Settings page.
- From the BearExtender setup page click Settings
- Then click "Advanced settings"
- Place a check mark next to Compatibility mode, then click "Apply"
I enabled compatibility mode, how do I access the BearExtender setup page again?
- When compatibility mode is enabled, you can no longer use http://setup.bearextender.com or http://192.168.100.2
- Your router will pick an IP address and assign it to BearExtender Edge.
- Mac users: Download LanScan (free) to find out BearExtender Edge's new IP Address
- Windows users: Download Advanced IP Scanner.
- Email email@example.com for further instructions.
I forgot my BearExtender Edge password, how do I reset it?
- Using a pen or non metallic object, press and hold the reset button on the left side for 5 seconds
- BearExtender Edge will now restart. This takes about 45 seconds.
- While waiting, turn off your computer's internal Wi-Fi card
- After 45 seconds, turn on your computer's internal Wi-Fi card.
- Scan for BearExtender####.
- The numbers will match the network name on the cover of the Quick Start Guide
- If you are able to connect, we recommend to re-enable security on your BearExtender Edge from the settings page.
- We recommend using “WPA 2 Personal” encryption.
How do I upgrade BearExtender's firmware?
- There is no update available currently.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your problem persists.