BearExtender Edge Support
Quick Start Guide
This is the Quick Start Guide included with every BearExtender Edge.
The cover of this booklet contains your unique BearExtender Edge network name and password.
I am unable to access the BearExtender Edge window (Initial setup)
- Verify your computer's internal Wi-Fi card is connected to BearExtender Edge.
- Your BearExtender Edge's network name and password is printed on the cover of the Quick Start Guide.
- If your computer has an ethernet cable, unplug it.
- Quit and reopen your browser, then type in http://setup.bearextender.com
- If you are still unable to load the page, try typing in http://192.168.100.2
- Unplug and plug BearExtender into a different electrical outlet closer to you
My network does not appear in the BearExtender window
- To scan again, click the small rescan button under the list of networks. See image at right
- Try plugging BearExtender Edge into a different outlet (including another outlet in a nearby room). Pick an outlet that is not obstructed.
- Do not plug BearExtender Edge in the same room as the router.
- Use a UL approved electrical extension cord and place BearExtender Edge as high up as possible off the ground.
“Connection timeout” error, I cannot join my network
- Double check your router's Wi-Fi password for any upper case or lower case letters.
- The password must match exactly
- Refresh the BearExtender setup page a few times.
- Unplug and plug BearExtender Edge back in.
- Wait 60 seconds after plugging in BearExtender Edge before connecting again
Slow throughput or speed
- Try enabling Power Boost
- From the BearExtender page, go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Power Boost
- Move BearExtender Edge to another electrical outlet
- Try a different antenna position.
- If the antenna was pointing straight up (recommended for most situations), try pointing the antenna horizontally.
- Use a UL approved electrical extension cord and place BearExtender Edge as high off the ground as possible.
- Consider using a larger Wi-Fi antenna. Contact email@example.com for recommendations.
Unable to print, scan or use AirPlay over the network
- Try enabling Compatibility Mode on the Advanced Settings page.
- From the BearExtender setup page click Settings
- Then click "Advanced settings"
- Place a check mark next to Compatibility mode, then click "Apply"
I enabled compatibility mode, how do I access the BearExtender setup page again?
- When compatibility mode is enabled, you can no longer use http://setup.bearextender.com or http://192.168.100.2
- Your router will pick an IP address and assign it to BearExtender Edge.
- Mac users: Download LanScan (free) to find out BearExtender Edge's new IP Address
- Windows users: Download Advanced IP Scanner.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
I forgot my BearExtender Edge password, how do I reset it?
- Using a pen or non metallic object, press and hold the reset button on the left side for 5 seconds
- BearExtender Edge will now restart. This takes about 45 seconds.
- While waiting, turn off your computer's internal Wi-Fi card
- After 45 seconds, turn on your computer's internal Wi-Fi card.
- Scan for BearExtender####.
- The numbers will match the network name on the cover of the Quick Start Guide
- If you are able to connect, we recommend to re-enable security on your BearExtender Edge from the settings page.
- We recommend using “WPA 2 Personal” encryption.
How do I upgrade BearExtender's firmware?
- There is no update available currently.
- Contact email@example.com if your problem persists.